And they’re racing…..
The Melbourne Cup is one of Australia’s main events celebrated throughout the country and is a great opportunity to put on an allergy free spread for your family, friends or work collegues. Catering for allergy free events and particularly large functions requires some extra planning. Here are some of our tips to make sure your event is successful and memorable for all the right reasons;
- Include in your invitation and event organising a question about any food allergies or intolerances to assist in your menu planning.
- Plan your menu well by providing a range of savoury and sweet allergy free menu options. For example, you may wish to have some menu options or products that can be quickly prepared if you need to cater for someone with multiple food allergies or with an allergy not catered for already.
- Cook any allergy free food items, especially gluten free food, before cooking other menu items and thoroughly clean utensils and surfaces to avoid cross contamination before preparation and cooking. Better still invest in a separate set of utensils and chopping boards.
- Store gluten free ingredients and food separately, in air tight containers above other food items. Also clearly label all your allergy free ingredients.
- Educate your helpers about the importance of avoiding cross contamination and particularly about washing hands before and while preparing food.
- Clearly label platters or separate menu items to show which ones are allergy free and what ingredients were used to avoid confusion.
- For large functions use disposable tongs, cutlery, plates and napkins to avoid cross-contamination.
- Make sure all your helpers know which items are allergy free and are able to correctly answer guest enquiries.
- A beautiful display of allergy free food will mean all your guests will want to enjoy what is on offer. Just make sure you have enough for everyone!
Some great allergy free ideas from Melinda’s for your events
There are many great allergy free food products available meaning you can cater for functions and events of all sizes and dietary needs.
Melinda’s cracker range adds sophistication to any event and allows everyone to enjoy their favourite foods safely. The range includes Natural (with a hint of sesame) and Pepper & Chives. Light and crisp, the crackers are ideal for your favourite cheeses, dips or as a canapé base.
Available from Woolworths/Safeway, selected Independent stores, speciality and online stores.
Melinda’s savoury and sweet premixes premix products can be prepared in varying sizes and quantities to suit your catering requirements and there are many taste variations you can create by adding in extra ingredients. Just make sure that any additional ingredients meet the dietary requirements of your guest. The last thing you would want is a guest having an adverse reaction to a menu item you’ve listed as free from allergens. Our website www.melindasgfg.com provides ideas for each of our products.
Our premix products are also freezer stable allowing you to prepare ahead of time and make your events run more smoothly. You can also be prepared for any unexpected requests.
Melinda’s gluten free Self Raising flour actually works and will give you creamy soups, smooth gravies and sauces, a fine texture in biscuits, cakes, muffins and slices, and superior dough texture.
Catering allergy free
Our aim at Melinda’s is to make it easy for you to cater to those wanting and needing gluten and allergy free menu options. With more than 120 recipes, our ‘Allergy Free Entertaining’ app provides for every allergy free diet including gluten, wheat, dairy, nut, soy and egg free as well as vegetarian, vegan, low sugar and child friendly options. You can download the app from the iTunes app store. It is also available in an Android version. For more information go to www.melindasgfg.com.
Our Facebook page has regular recipes and ideas so join us and share your ideas as well! https://www.facebook.com/MelindasGFG
Enjoy the spring racing carnivals with delicious gluten free food!!
The Melinda’s Team